PLEASE VISIT THE NEW SITE FOR LATEST NEWS
Interesting prompt from Daniel Levin Becker today at FPR introducing a new poetic form.
'The récapitul is a fixed poetic form created by Jacques Jouet in 2010. Its fully fledged form is a little long for our purposes,* so we’ll use its truncated version, the petit récapitul portatif:
1. The poem consists of 10 lines total, in a 3-3-3-1 stanza distribution.
2. Each line is 9 syllables long. No meter is required.
3. The lines do not rhyme.
4. After each three-line stanza comes a list, in parentheses, of three words taken from one of each of the lines in the preceding stanza.
5. The poem is dated and addressed to a specific person (someone you know or someone you don’t).
Here’s how we’ll use it:
6. This link will direct you to a Wikipedia article in English, chosen at random. (You can also click on the fifth link down on the lefthand toolbar of any article.)
7. The first line in your poem will correspond to the first random article you see, the second to the second, and so on for all ten lines.
7a. You may replace up to two of your random articles with either a new random article or an article one click away from the original.
8. You may interpret “correspond to” however you choose. You can quote the article, paraphrase it, comment on it, take impressionistic inspiration from it, or what have you.
9. You may open ten random articles at once and plan out the content of your PRP, though still observing the order in which you opened them; you may also complete each line of the poem before allowing yourself to open the next article.
10. If you so choose, hyperlink each line—or the list word taken from it—to the corresponding article.'
And here is my poem - do not ask me why I chose this man, he just seemed to fit.
23 April 2016
for Donald Trump
Pursual of love, captured on film
governed by a republican spirit
their courtship an ice-carved tango
(pursual, spirit, courtship)
Existence was one season's blink
commanded by the King of Heavens
As villains crawled from sin-filled sewers
(existence, kings, sewers)
Propagation of understanding
Stone sluiced in cherry laurel water
damns every citizen with its poison
(propagation, stone, damn)
a spiritual awakening
A writer - I think that says it all.